shout/burst out/cry

< Previous | Next >

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
"I didn't mean to say that!" Julia burst out/shouted/cried. Which one sounds best? I would choose "shouted", but I am not sure it fits the context :(. I am open to suggestions.

Thank you

• theartichoke

English - Canada
    "I didn't mean to say that!" Julia burst out/shouted/cried. Which one sounds best? I would choose "shouted", but I am not sure it fits the context :(. I am open to suggestions.

Thank you
    Impossible to say, Gandalf! What is the context? All of the above are correct and natural English, so it will simply depend on what Julia's actually doing.

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    Impossible to say, Gandalf! What is the context? All of the above are correct and natural English, so it will simply depend on what Julia's actually doing.
    Well, it means that she said it in a very loud voice and that's the reason I think "shouted" might work. On the other hand "burst out" = speak suddenly and loudly with strong feeling. I can't say which one implies strongest emotion. For some reason I think that "burst out" is the strongest followed by "cry" and "shout".
    What do you suggest, artichoke?

theartichoke

English - Canada
    I think you're right about "burst out" implying the strongest emotion. "Shout" refers mainly to how loud her voice was: she could be shouting because her listener was far away. "Cry" as a term for "shout" is on the literary side, and has a slightly old-fashioned sound to it (people "cry" rather than "shout" a lot in 19th century novels).

Of course, "burst out" also has implications that Julia has been bottling up her emotions or holding her tongue until now. If she's been shouting and speaking emotionally all along during this conversation, then "burst out" may not be the best choice.

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    I think you're right about "burst out" implying the strongest emotion. "Shout" refers mainly to how loud her voice was: she could be shouting because her listener was far away. "Cry" as a term for "shout" is on the literary side, and has a slightly old-fashioned sound to it (people "cry" rather than "shout" a lot in 19th century novels).

Of course, "burst out" also has implications that Julia has been bottling up her emotions or holding her tongue until now. If she's been shouting and speaking emotionally all along during this conversation, then "burst out" may not be the best choice.
    That's a good point. Then if Julia and Jim were having a conversation and Jim said "So, after all these years you call me a liar? I will never talk to you again!"., Julia would be more likely to "shout it out. I hope that "shout out" makes sense to you in my context :(. I am just confused. Cry is old-fashioned and I agree, she wasn't bottling up her emotions. Can we say that "shout" fits the context?

Thank you so,so much :)

theartichoke

English - Canada
    That's a good point. Then if Julia and Jim were having a conversation and Jim said "So, after all these years you call me a liar? I will never talk to you again!"., Julia would be more likely to "shout it out. I hope that "shout out" makes sense to you in my context :(. I am just confused. Cry is old-fashioned and I agree, she wasn't bottling up her emotions. Can we say that "shout" fits the context?

Thank you so,so much :)
    Yes, shout should be fine: "I didn't mean to say that!" Julia shouted.

< Previous | Next >