shove (meter a la fuerza)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by tonguingaround, May 2, 2016.

1. tonguingaround Senior Member

Spanish Argentina
    Hola
    Una pregunta. Escuché a alguien de USA expresar la idea que los padres de alguien "al menos no le habían metido (a la fuerza) la religión" a alguien cuando era chico, y lo elogió esa actitud de los padres como un mérito. Estoy seguro que la palabra que usó para "meter" (a la fuerza) fue "shove" pero no logré escuchar el resto de la frase bien.
    Pudo haber sido o podría ser

"at least your parents didn t shove religion through him" (meterle la religión a prepo, a la fuerza). ?

No busco otras formas de decirlo, sino reconstruirlo con la palabra "shove"

Muchas Gracias

2. christelleny

christelleny Senior Member

Connecticut, USA
    French-France
    No estoy segura de entender muy bien la pregunta (¿Buscas una traducción de "meter a la fuerza" o una interpretación de lo que escuchaste?), pero en este contexto se puede usar el verbo "shove" de varias maneras. Por ejemplo:

Shove in. Por ej. I hate people who shove in religion in other people's faces.
    Shove down. Por ej. Some universities shove religion through students' throats.

3. gengo

gengo Senior Member

With those corrections, I agree with those, especially the second one, which is a very common expression and perfectly matches the idea explained by the OP.

tonguingaround, you used "USA" in your Spanish sentence, but since that is an English acronym (not the EEUU of Spanish), if you are going to use it, you should use the definite article: the USA. That is, in English we never say "from USA," and always use the article.

4. christelleny

christelleny Senior Member

Connecticut, USA
    French-France
    Of course! Thanks for the corrections. One more proof that I should always proofread my prose!!!

5. stickyfloor Senior Member

Mexico
    English - Vancouver, Canada
    I would just like to add one note: for me, shove down is necessarily accompanied by the complement someone's/your/etc. throat, and does not make sense as a separate unit.

For example: *I will shove religion down him (incorrect)
    I will shove religion down his throat (correct)

6. tonguingaround Senior Member

Spanish Argentina
    Muchas gracias a todos. Una pregunta: "drum or beat religion into them" tiene la misma connotación que "shove it down their throats" ?

Gengo, gracias por la aclaración (the USA) ya que es una sigla inglesa, de acuerdo!

7. gengo

gengo Senior Member

Yes, they are very similar in meaning, although the latter is stronger than the former. And "drum something into someone" can have a neutral or even a positive nuance, while the other two are almost always negative. "To drum" here has the connotation of doing something over and over, like beating a drum.

Ex.
    He was a good teacher, and was good at drumming geography knowledge into our heads. (positive)
    I was a poor student, so my teacher had to beat geography into me / into my head.
    I hated school, and my teachers tried to shove education down my throat.

The last one is always used in the sense of doing the action against the will of the other person, as you can imagine from the literal meaning.

8. tonguingaround Senior Member

Spanish Argentina
    Thanks gengo, greatly appreciated