1. Bryan05 Senior Member

Perú - Lima
    Español peruano ribereño
    Hello everyone, I've got a doubt about the meaning of this sentence: "Dickie was just shoving him out in the cold". I suppose that Dickie is trying to put someone off or trying to turn them away.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
  2. NealMc Senior Member

Hola

- into the cold - literally, out of a warm house into the cold street.

- into the cold - metaphorically, out of the security of friendship to the harsh reality of isolation.

literal or metaphorical depends on context.

Cheers
    Neal Mc

3. Dickie was trying to "push" him outside where it was cold. Sounds pretty literal to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
  4. NealMc Senior Member

Hi

Not sure whether the whole Captain Oates thing, gives "Out into the cold" more cultural significance in the UK.

Being out in the cold is a metaphor as much as it is a literal state - because it's always cold here, the former is something that hurts and the latter is our normal state of being.

Cheers
    Neal Mc

5. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Dickie se estaba lavando las manos de él (Tom?).
    Le estaba excluyendo de su círculo de amigos.

6. How did I miss that he was talking about the book, "The Talented Mr. Ripley"? Is this mentioned in the first post and I just missed it?

It would make much more sense if people included as much information as possible and not just one sentence without any context. While I admit that I enjoy trying to answer the questions, I think it would just make things easier.

And, of course, Aztlaniano is correct.

7. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    I don't know if I am correct or not, Mrs S. I'm just guessing, based on the name "Dickie", relating that name, and the tone of the text, to Tom being left out of the planned Christmas skiing holiday in Switzerland.
    On the basis of the information in the first post, it certainly cannot be ruled out that one person is physically shoving another out of a warm cozy cabin and into a blizzard, or some comparable scenario.

8. No, you are correct. I just googled that sentence and the first entry was that sentence from the book. Had I thought of that book in the first place I might have come to the same conclusion. Very interesting.

9. pattyfashiion Senior Member

italian-italia
    Shove out: empujar hacia afuera, sacar a empujones, pujar hacia fuera..