1. Brianse Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    Hello i wanted to know if both of these would be correct, or if there's any difference

"But it is very difficult to keep one's chin up when Count Olaf keeps shoving it down."
    "But it is very difficult to keep one's chin up when Count Olaf keeps pushing it down."

2. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    I would go for "push". Somehow "shove" doesn't seem to combine very well with "down".

3. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

In this sentence, "shove" sounds more forceful/violent than "push", to me.

4. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    I agree that "shove" is usually a brusquer movement than "push", but the context might even require that. Nevertheless, I don't know why, but "shove" doesn't sound quite right to me when the idea is of forcing someone's head down (even in the figurative sense).

5. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

I sort of agree with you - "push" does feel like the best/safest choice here.

Nevertheless, I can imagine "shove" being used in such sentences. However, I am struggling to put the image it evoques into words. It makes it more physical, more personal and more bitter, somehow. Lowers the register a little too, I think. Perhaps it is the Yorkshire in me that finds it ok.:D