1. And the rest is silence New Member

Madrid
    Spanish - Spain
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering what the equivalent of "shovel ceremony" is and if we have an equivalent and idiomatic way of saying it in Spanish. As far as I have researched, neither "ceremonia de pala" or "ceremonia de las palas" would work and "ceremonia de apertura" (opening ceremony) is of a much more general nature, so I would really appreciate if someone could help me. Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  2. chicanul Senior Member

SoCal
    english/spanish
    Hi, maybe "una ceremonia de apertura en la que se utiliza una pala"... I'm sure the explanation has to be long, because I don't think there is a direct translation...

3. dexterciyo

dexterciyo Senior Member

Español - Canarias
    "Ceremonia inaugural" could work, though it is general as well. I think you should choose one of the like, since I believe there is no such specific expression in Spanish to mean the same.

They also talk about "ceremonia de colocación de la piedra fundamental".

4. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    La conozco como "colocación de la primera piedra".

5. And the rest is silence New Member

Madrid
    Spanish - Spain
    Thank you very much everybody!

I have heard about the "ceremonia de colocación de la piedra fundamental" but it doesn¡t really work in my context as I have a picture with people carrying a shovel and are about to start digging... Furthermore, I think that "ceremonia de colocación de la piedra fundamental" could be a really good translation for "brick-laying ceremony", that means more or less the same, but like I said I have to be bear in mind that I have a picture, therefore my translation has to be very rigorous. I have thought about "ceremonia de inicio de obra", what do you guys think?