show/display/demonstrate/manifest/exhibit emotions

jay2108

Mandarin
Hi I'm quite confused about these words: show/display/demonstrate/manifest/exhibit when they are used to refer to the showing of emotions which i have learnt from various dictionaries, for example:

"My mom showed/displayed/demonstrated/manifested/exhibited anger when i mouthed off to her".

or "He showed/displayed/demonstrated/manifested/exhibited impatience half way through the boring meeting".

or "The little girl showed/displayed/demonstrated/manifested/exhibited happiness when she was given a doll as birthday gift,

What are the differences of these words when used in the same context? Thank you.

<Edited by moderator (Florentia52) for readability>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • heypresto

English - England
    For me, only 'showed' works in any of these sentences. But none of them are very natural.

We are far more likely to say:

My mum got/became/was angry . . .
    He got/became impatient . . .
    The little girl was very happy . . .

In other words, we would usually use the adjective (angry, impatient, happy) rather than 'show' the noun.

jay2108

Mandarin
    For me, only 'showed' works in any of these sentences. But none of them are very natural.

We are far more likely to say:

My mum got/became/was angry . . .
    He got/became impatient . . .
    The little girl was very happy . . .

In other words, we would usually use the adjective (angry, impatient, happy) rather than 'show' the noun.
    Thank you heypresto, all i want to find out by listing all these examples is just the possible difference when they are used for as virtually all dictionaries have mentioned: feeling, attitude, emotion, quality, ability or symptom, so what if I have to use this verb+noun structure? and what are the difference in meanings? or what about this example as there are other possibilities other than emotions in adj forms: "he has showed/displayed/demonstrated/manifested/exhibited a pleasing personality / good ability at his workplace" ? some resources say manifest or exhibit is to show in a deliberate fashion or by one's acts ? confusing to me.. please help

heypresto

English - England
    Some of these verbs collocate well with some nouns, and some don't. But it's clearly impossible to come up with scores of sentences in scores of contexts that show how each of these words might be used. Besides, it's not what we do here.

But I can say that in your latest sentence, He has 'shown' (not 'showed') or 'demonstrated' remarkable ability at work sounds OK. In my opinion, the other verbs wouldn't work.

< Previous | Next >