Show for the ball [football/soccer]

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
Hello everyone.
I'm here again with another question concerning football/soccer.
What does the expression "show for the ball" mean?

From: Claudio Ranieri praises Leicester's 'big heart' in Sevilla | Daily Mail Online
"But Ranieri said: ‘The first half was very tough, we were a little scared, nobody wanted to show for the ball and Kasper kept the team live. Slowly we got better."

I'm not at all sure what this expression means and I wasn't able to find any results by searching the Net.

• Loob

English UK
    Well, you need someone who's more of a football expert than I am, Crociato.;)

One point that occurs to me is that Ranieri is not a native English-speaker. I have the suspicion that "show for the ball" is not what a native English-speaker would have said.

I may be wrong, however....

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I'm not sure either (it's not a football expression I am familiar with) - but I suspect Loob is right - it might be a direct translation from his native language into English. Isn't he Italian - perhaps you can help us:D

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    I contemplated that option too, but eventually I sort of convinced myself that it must have been "proper English" because it was an interview transcript and whoever wrote the article may as well have "corrected" the way Ranieri had expressed himself and turn it into proper English. I guess this wasn't the case.

What he might have meant is that no one made any effort to free themselves from their marker and signal to their teammates that they wanted to be passed the ball. I'm not sure though.
    If this makes sense to you, is there another expression which conveys the same meaning and is actually used?

Thanks again and my apologies for the confusion.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    http://soccer.epicsports.com/soccer-glossary.html

Show: The ball carrier lets a receiver know with clear body communication that he intends to pass the ball, or a receiver communicates to the carrier that he is open to receiving the ball.

He may have gotten his prepositions mixed up. I don't know how a native speaker would express it.
    Good research RG:) I think this is the meaning but I also wouldn't know what preposition to use either.

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    Thanks everyone for chiming in.
    So I take it that it should be used without preposition, as in:
    I wished my teammates would show more so I can pass them the ball and not lose it every time?

Szkot

UK English
    So I take it that it should be used without preposition, as in:
    I wished my teammates would show more so I can pass them the ball and not lose it every time?
    No - 'show for the ball' is fine as in 'On Saturday he was literally hiding behind the Bristol players rather than coming to show for the ball'.

< Previous | Next >