show off

Tokyoite

Japanese
Hi everyone,

When I was a highschool student, I was taught "show off" is used ONLY in a disapproving
meaning like "He is always showing off his knowledge".
Is this correct? Or you hear and use it in a neutral meaning like "With the 2020 Olympics coming,
Tokyo should show off its own culture to the rest of world." In this sentence, I suppose "show off"
is used as the same meaning as "display" or "introduce".

TIA

• pops91710

English, AE
    You can be a 'show off', and you can 'show off'. Saying someone is a show off is a is not meant to be flattering. However, to show off something can be a negative or a positive. The context and tone will define the meaning. As london calling has said, in this example for Tokyo to have a chance to show off its culture would be a positive.

"Ford unveiled their new line of automobiles earlier than usual to show off their newly designed V-8 Cobra":thumbsup:

"Look at that guy over there on the beach. He's flexing his muscles just to show off to the girls nearby. Ugh!":thumbsdown:

Tokyoite

Japanese
    You can be a 'show off', and you can 'show off'. Saying someone is a show off is a is not meant to be flattering. However, to show off something can be a negative or a positive. The context and tone will define the meaning. As london calling has said, in this example for Tokyo to have a chance to show off its culture would be a positive.

"Ford unveiled their new line of automobiles earlier than usual to show off their newly designed V-8 Cobra":thumbsup:

"Look at that guy over there on the beach. He's flexing his muscles just to show off to the girls nearby. Ugh!":thumbsdown:
    I am really thankful to pops91710-san for your detailed explanation.
    That helps me a lot!:)

< Previous | Next >