show the cojones

• Leopold

es-ES
    I don't think it is English, properly. And the meaning depends very much on the context.

"cojones" is Spanish. It, literally, means "testicles" (vulgar). But the meaning depends on the context. It may be a simple exclamation or it could mean "courage", or it could be a sign of complaint.

L.

Ralf

German
    I don't know much Spanish, but as far as I know "cojones" is an informal (I hope not too offensive) expression referring to the testicles (of a male body). I remember having read this expression in "Paris - a moveable feast" by Hemingway. In my opinion it means as much as "having the guts to do sth." or have (or prove to have) the courage to do sth. difficult, tricky or hazardous.

But since I'm not a native English speaker this explanation might be not that accurate.

Cheers again.

lovelearning

Algeria Arabic
    Thank you for your explanations,
    In fact the othor said that Kirkuk showed the cojones to the spagniards,.....

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Ralf said:
    I don't know much Spanish, but as far as I know "cojones" is an informal (I hope not too offensive) expression referring to the testicles (of a male body). I remember having read this expression in "Paris - a moveable feast" by Hemingway. In my opinion it means as much as "having the guts to do sth." or have (or prove to have) the courage to do sth. difficult, tricky or hazardous.

But since I'm not a native English speaker this explanation might be not that accurate.

Cheers again.
    You are correct Ralf...thanks to E. Hemingway, who spent a lot of time in both Spain and Cuba, 'cojones' has found its way into American English as a popular expression for courage or 'guts'.

A moveable feast also contains one of my favorite lines:

"Don't confuse motion with action."

Saludos,
    Cuchufléte

< Previous | Next >