show up to picket

< Previous | Next >

Milad333

Armenian
Hello

I was wondering if the colored words mean "to arrive at the bar/fence/railing" or "to arrive and begin their protest"?

"At a gala hosted by the Defense Department, where the prime minister was to receive a
humanitarian award, more than a thousand people showed up to
picket
."

• BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    The people came to protest, to act like a picket fence.
    To surround the speaker as much as possible as a fence against his words or actions in his post.

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    If the verb "picket" ever evoked the image of a picket fence, it doesn't anymore except perhaps for a few people who know its derivation. "To picket" means to march or stand while holding signs called "picket signs", lined up with other picketers.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It says they showed up to join the protest. It doesn't say they joined the protest, but you have to assume they did. Otherwise, they would not have come.

se16teddy

English - England
    I'm not familiar with this use of "picket". In the UK "picket" usually has a more specific sense: to stand outside a place of work while a strike is going on, trying to persuade others to strike and not to go in to work.

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    I'm not familiar with this use of "picket". In the UK "picket" usually has a more specific sense: to stand outside a place of work while a strike is going on, trying to persuade others to strike and not to go in to work.
    In American English it means either that or to mount a protest in a similar form. For example, you will nearly always see at least a few people in front of the White House in Washington holding picket signs.

< Previous | Next >