shown or showed ?

sein

Japanese
This is my second question today.

I know that the verb "show" has two forms of a past participle. When we use "shown'" as an adjective that modifies a noun, as in "The first TV program shown in
Japan is "Tetsuwan Atom," can we use "showed"
instead of "shown" ?

Thanks.

• MichaelW

English (British)
    "showed" is the simple past, "shown" is the past participle.

The first TV program shown in Japan was "Tetsuwan Atom"

sein

Japanese
    "showed" is the simple past, "shown" is the past participle.

The first TV program shown in Japan was "Tetsuwan Atom"

Thank you.
     So, "The first TV program showed in Japan was 'Tetsuwan Atom'." is not a grammatical expression ?

MichaelW

English (British)
    The TV program did not show itself, so a passive rather than an active verb is needed: "showed" is active and needs a subject, "shown" can be either active or passive and is used here passively.

The first TV program the Broadcasting Corporation showed in Japan was 'Tetsuwan Atom'.

works because "showed" now has a subject.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    The past participle 'showed' is very rare compared to 'shown'. You do see examples of perfect 'has showed' and passive 'was showed', but it's such a minority usage that a foreign learner shouldn't use it.

The same sort of minority usage occurs when the past-participial phrase post-modifies a noun, e.g. 'courage shown by . . .' is much more common than 'courage showed by . . .'

Quickfix

English, England
    The only time 'showed' really works is when used in placed of 'performed' but can also work in place of 'aired'. There may be other scenario's but they are few and 'shown' almost always works better. As long as the sentence is structured right, shown can always be used in it's place and it makes things much simpler.

Still:

The play was first performed in the Apollo Theater in 2002.

could instead be;

The play first showed in the Apollo Theater in 2002.

----

The first episode of Star Wars was showed last night on Holoboards around the galaxy after seven-centuries since it's last showing. Fly-in station 77 behind Saturn's sixth moon had crafts backed up all the way to planetary ring!

mrproject

Italian
    Hi all,
    I have a question related to this:
    which one of these two is the correct one?
    At boot, Live TV is showed for some seconds before the launchpad.
    At boot, Live TV is shown for some seconds before the launchpad.

I guess the first one but I was corrected by someone.

Thanks!

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I have a question related to this:
    which one of these two is the correct one?
    At boot, Live TV is showed for some seconds before the launchpad.
    At boot, Live TV is shown for some seconds before the launchpad.

I guess the first one but I was corrected by someone.
    No: you've guessed wrongly, I'm afraid: that first one definitely sounds odd to me. It should be "... live TV is shown...".

Oh, and welcome to the forum, by the way. :)

mrproject

Italian
    No: you've guessed wrongly, I'm afraid: that first one definitely sounds odd to me. It should be "... live TV is shown...".

Oh, and welcome to the forum, by the way. :)

Thanks!

Then I am a bit confused: according to "Quickfix" the phrase:

"The play was first performed in the Apollo Theater in 2002"

where performed can be replaced by showed, looks the same to me as:

"... Live TV is "performed" for some seconds before the launchpad".

What´s the difference?

Hermione Golightly

British English
    The past participle of 'perfom' is 'performed', same as the simple past.
    'Show' has an irregular past participle 'shown'.

What does this sentence mean?
    "At boot, Live TV is shown for some seconds before the launchpad.":confused::confused::confused:

mrproject

Italian
    The past participle of 'perfom' is 'performed', same as the simple past.
    'Show' has an irregular past participle 'shown'.

What does this sentence mean?
    "At boot, Live TV is shown for some seconds before the launchpad.":confused::confused::confused:
    It´s very technical stuff! :)
    The question is, if Quickfix is right about replacing the verb perform?
    He´s saying:

"The only time 'showed' really works is when used in placed of 'performed' but can also work in place of 'aired'."

And I guess this is my case?

synaptica

German (Germany)
    Hi everyone,
    interesting comments so far! -Thanks to all the native speakers and experts sharing their intuitions and knowledge!
    To me, the question is still not answered though!
    -The question to me, first and foremost is: is "showed" a POSSIBLE form of the past participle?
    (It CLEARLY is NOT a "nice" or common or most used form - I'm well aware of that!)
    But, with people saying, they've heard it around, and people mentioning having used it themselves occasionally, my question is: could it be correct? -Language changes and is changed by its users... Could this be a thing that is being changed currently? As changes usually take place gradually, we might actually be in a time frame, where both forms are (still) used?... I learned: "to show - showed - shown" -but that was a while ago. -Could it be possble that there are more and more people using "showed" as a past participle (alongside "shown"-users) in the English speaking world? -Or is this simply viewed as a wrong form (and if so, under all, or only under certain circumstances)?
    That's what I'm wondering about.... I only don't get enough English input around my place to make any statement about this myself...
    So thanks for sharing your ideas and observations on this!

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Hi everyone,
    interesting comments so far! -Thanks to all the native speakers and experts sharing their intuitions and knowledge!
    To me, the question is still not answered though!
    -The question to me, first and foremost is: is "showed" a POSSIBLE form of the past participle?
    (It CLEARLY is NOT a "nice" or common or most used form - I'm well aware of that!)
    I quote from the entry in Wiktionary:

"Usage notes
    • The past participle shown was uncommon before the 19th century, but is now the preferred form in standard English. In the UK, showed is regarded as archaic or dialectal. In the US, it is considered a standard variant form, but shown is more common. Garner's Modern American Usage favors shown over showed as past participle and claims it is mandatory for passives.
    • In the past, shew was used as a past tense form and shewed as a past participle of this verb; both forms are now archaic."
    So, as far as standard BE is concerned, the short answer to your question is 'no'. :)

synaptica

German (Germany)
    Thank you very much DonnyB! This totally answers my question! In fact I was wondering about passive constructions mainly - so "No" to that in any case and "possibly" but rarely and only in rather "mediocre" AE active constructions, if I got that right.
    OK :thumbsup: