showy, 'flouncy' and self-satisfying [movie]

needer

persian
(It's a movie review)

The Rivals is a production which could have been showy,flouncy and self-satisfying beyound endurance.

• Obeorn

American English
    I would also add that flouncy tends to suggest something that has no depth or meaning beyond the surface.

needer

persian
    It is a review about a comedy

The Rivals is a production which could have been showy,flouncy and self-satisfying beyond endurance.But it's actually quite a hoot.

The point is that when something is beyond endurance it must be a negative theme.therefore the meaning of flouncy must be negative, (in my opinion). or maybe to emphasize a positive meaning?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    No, I believe you are right: 'flouncy' has a negative meaning.
    (I wonder about 'self-satisfying'. It's not what I would expect in this context. Is that exactly what was written? Was it perhaps 'self-satisfied'? That would fit better, and has a negative meaning.)

Also: Where did you see this? What was the name of the reviewer? We ask you to name the source of every quotation.

needer

persian
    yes, it is self-satisfying.

But what exactly is this sentese saying?

The Rivals is a production which could have been showy,flouncy and self-satisfying beyond endurance.

What sort of comedy it was supposed to be?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Our dictionary defines flounce thus: to move or go with emphatic or impatient movements.

However, flounce is also a way of describing the movement women sometimes make, when they walk in such a way as to make their skirts swing about and to call attention to the sway of their hips. I would expect a 'flouncy' movie to contain a lot of movement like that, or, in a less literal sense, to involve a lot of showing off and drama without much real content. This would be consistent with 'showy', the other adjective used to describe the movie.

It's not clear to me how 'self-satisfying' would fit here, or why something would be 'self-satisfying beyond endurance'. On the other hand, self-satisfied would fit well.

Sometimes exercises like this are adapted from texts printed elsewhere, and in the process mistakes are made, including the miscopying of words. From time to time that has happened in questions posted here. When we find the original text, we can solve the problem caused by the error. However, I cannot find the original from which this was taken, so I cannot say for sure that 'self-satisfying' is an error here.

needer

persian
    Since the text appear in a CPe cource book I don't think there is any mistake, but everything is possible.

Dexta

English (British and Australian)
    (It's a movie review)

Are you certain? Might it be a review of a play? There is a famous restoration comedy by Sheridan with the same title. You might well expect lots of flouncy sleeves, skirts, collars, hats, wigs, gesticulations and movements in such a production.

needer

persian
    (It's a movie review)

Are you certain? Might it be a review of a play? There is a famous restoration comedy by Sheridan with the same title. You might well expect lots of flouncy sleeves, skirts, collars, hats, wigs, gesticulations and movements in such a production.
    Bingo!
    yes it is about a comedy by Sheridan whom I am not familiar with.

buy here flouncy refers to the play itself not the costume

Last edited:

dadane

English-London
    Might it be a review of a play?
    :thumbsup: I agree.

The mental image I get from 'flouncy' is of old-fashioned 18th or 19th century aristocracy (possibly even extending into Edwardian) complete with unrealistically coy yet flirty maidens and so forth.

Dexta

English (British and Australian)
    buy here flouncy refers to the play itself not the costume
    No, the review is of the production, not the play (the work of literature). That entails the 'production values' which are the costumes, the sets, etc. and the production overall in terms of things like style of performance and staging (what kind of acting the director has asked for and how the actors move about).

needer

persian
    No, the review is of the production, not the play (the work of literature). That entails the 'production values' which are the costumes, the sets, etc. and the production overall in terms of things like style of performance and staging (what kind of acting the director has asked for and how the actors move about).
    Right, I'm talking about the word flouncy. You are saying it describes the costumes or the production on the whole?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think maybe it means the production could have been over the top, with very ornate frilly costumes, actresses flouncing around the stage (overacting), and in general a self-indulgent production.

< Previous | Next >