shrug off

guzhi

Thailand
Hello,

Is "shrug off" another way to say "ignore"/"disregard" like in "He shrugged off the gossip," "He shrugged off about their criticism on his lifestyle"? Can I use it in conversation?

Cheers
Guzhi

• Deloris

Banned
    English USA
    Hi Guzhi. The answer is "Yes" to both of your questions, but let's take a quick look at your second sentence.

"He shrugged off about their criticism of his lifestyle"

:)

guzhi

Thailand
    Thanks Deloris. Is "brush it off" same as "shrug off", such as "He brushed off the gossip" and "He brushed off their criticism of his lifestlye"?

Deloris

Banned
    English USA
    Yes, "brush it off" is another less frequently used interpretation. We also say that "criticism rolls off of someone like water off a duck’s back.” :)

blasita

Spain. Left six years ago
    Hello.

I'd like to know if I could use 'shrug off' (meaning something like 'don't take responsibility for it and let others deal with it instead') in the following context:

"It's easy to shrug off one's responsibility onto others." There has been an accident and the speaker is saying that it's easy to accuse others of it, blame them, instead of taking the responsibility himself.

Would it be possible to use shrug away?

Thank you.

blasita

Spain. Left six years ago
    Thanks a lot, Tazzler.

So then it would work if it were e.g. "It's easy to shrug off/away one's responsibility", wouldn't it? But if there's a change, it doesn't work.

Edit: Before I cannot edit it anymore ... I really needed an explanation, so I had to ask in another forum (thank you again, Tazzler, for helping me in this forum, you're always a great help ...): English/Spanish forum. Hope it can help others.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >