shuffles his <pack> (football)

bearfreak

Javanese
Hello everyone. This is football (soccer). I'm wondering if "pack" here means "strategy". Is that right?

66' Mancini now shuffles his pack, with Hernanes being replaced by Guarin. Palacio also takes his leave for young striker Longo.
The Nerazzurri also make a couple of defensive alterations, with the Serie A outfit ensuring that plenty of their personnel get the required minutes to secure their match fitness.
http://tinyurl.com/q2bbuva

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    I think "pack" might refer more accurately to his players on the field rather than more broadly to his strategy, though changing players may well indicate a modification of strategy.

In the metaphor, then, the players are individual playing cards, naturally.

Redban

English - trinidad
    "Shuffle a pack" is a phrase that derives from cards. "Pack" is synonymous with "deck of playing cards." To "shuffle a pack" means to mix up the cards, usually before dealing.

In the quote you provided, "pack" is used metaphorically to denote the entire group players on the team. Mancini (the coach?) made some subsitutions, so he mixed up the players on the field; hence, he "shuffled his pack."

I don't think it means "strategy."

sound shift

English - England
    I agree. In "Mancini now shuffles his pack, with Hernanes being replaced by Guarin", the "with" is significant: It tells us that Mancini shuffles his pack by replacing Hernanes with Guarin. So this "shuffling of the pack" has to do with personnel although, as bibliolept says, different players might mean a different strategy.

< Previous | Next >