Shut down,switch off,turn off

< Previous | Next >

English nerd

Hindi
My friend asks me why I am not using my phone. But my phone's battery is dead. So what should I use:

My phone shut down.
My phone switched off.
My phone turned off.

Which of the above examples sound the most natural? "Shut down" or "switched off" or "turn off"? I guess the first option sounds the best. But what about the other two?

Thank you:)

• AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    It's more natural to say "My battery died." A dead battery means no phone.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Why don't you say the battery's dead?

"Shut down" is the only correct option of the three, but it isn't really appropriate. The other two verbs are transitive and, although there may be cases where "switched off" can be used without an object, I think the subject has to be a person. However, "my phone shut down" would only really be used to explain why a call was interrupted, not for a longer-term state of affairs.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Phones often turn themselves off. Mine does it if I don't touch it for 4 minutes. So all 3 of your sentences describe very common things.

Your problem is "I can't turn the phone on." or "The phone won't turn on." The reason is "The phone's battery is dead."

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    Phones often turn themselves off. Mine does it if I don't touch it for 4 minutes.
    That sounds like a serious problem! Or do you mean its screen turns itself off? A phone that's "turned off" won't ring, so it wouldn't be much use if it only remained on for four minutes at a time.

< Previous | Next >