Si inizia il 26 dicembre all’ora dell’aperitivo con il gruppo X

JeiiMelaR

Italian
Hi everyone!

I have to translate the following sentence: "Si inizia il 26 dicembre all’ora dell’aperitivo con il gruppo X, che si esibirà in un repertorio di canzoni a tema natalizio".

I am translating a piece about the Christmas events taking place in town, especially a music festival scheduled on different days. I was thinking that "orario aperitivo" might be translated in "late afternoon", since aperitivo is an Italian tradition (let's say so). All the concerts will be around 17.00 / 17.30 / 18.00.
I have also doubts about afternoon of / on - the google search gave me more results with "of", but I would like your native speaker advice.

Well, thank you in advance!

• Starless74

Italiano
    Hi, Jeii
    Expecially if dealing with events schedule, I would use the estimated time frame (e.g. 5:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M.) rather than a generic 'late afternoon'. Perhaps you may also throw «aperitivo» in (untranslated) - just to add an "Italian flavour", if the piece addresses tourists - but without a time frame it may be confusing, IMHO.

Last edited:

JeiiMelaR

Italian
    Hi, Jeii
    Expecially if dealing with events schedule, I would use the estimated time frame (e.g. 5:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M.) rather than a generic 'late afternoon'. Perhaps you may also throw «aperitivo» in (untransated) - just to add an "Italian flavour", if the piece addresses tourists - but without a time frame it may be confusing, IMHO.
    Totally right Starless, I respect your opinion, and thank you very much for replying!
    There will be the postcard with all the festival schedule (and times) near this text, and the text serves as a mere description of the groups; for this reason, I tried to stick to the original text, trying not to make it "heavier" with numbers.
    I also fear that writing "aperitivo" might be misleading, having people expecting an actual Italian "aperitivo", whereas I think that in the Italian version it is unmistakable.

MR1492

English -USA
    Just a thought that you could translate ora dell'aperitivo as the cocktail hour or happy hour. Your English speaking readers would have a general idea of the time and would not expect the rather extensive snacks associated with the Italian ora dell'aperativo!

Phil

JeiiMelaR

Italian
    Just a thought that you could translate ora dell'aperitivo as the cocktail hour or happy hour. Your English speaking readers would have a general idea of the time and would not expect the rather extensive snacks associated with the Italian ora dell'aperativo!

Phil
    Yes, thank you Phil, that could work: 'happy hour' can't be used (for a series of reasons) but 'cocktail hour' seems very good! Thank you.

< Previous | Next >