Si le promeneur attardé lève ses regards vers le ciel, it découvre de tous côté d'innombrables étoiles

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by mimi2, Sep 2, 2007.

1. mimi2 Senior Member

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi,
    "Si le promeneur attardé lève ses regards vers le ciel, it découvre de tous côté d'innombrables étoiles."
    "If a stroller looks up the sky, he will see the sky cover with countless stars from every direction."
    Could you help me with "attardé". I don't know how to do with it. :)
    Thanks.

2. carolineR

carolineR Senior Member

Indian Ocean
    France
    a lingering stroller ?

3. cropje_jnr

cropje_jnr Senior Member

Canberra, Australia
    English - Australia
    My take :) :

If a lingering stroller raises his eyes to the sky, he will discover countless stars all around him/her.

4. David

David Banned

5. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

I think in this context (at least the amount of context one can get from this short sentence) I would suggest evening used as an adjective. A few other points in red to fix up your sentence as well:

"If an evening stroller looks up in the sky, he or she will see it covered with countless stars from in every direction."

stroller also means poussette (pour bébé) in AE, so I might change the syntax a bit to avoid the possible confusion and to get rid of the awkward he/she wording:

If people out for an evening stroll look up in the sky, they will see it covered....