Si [Sí], ¿vistes [viste]?

< Previous | Next >

Michael30000

Russian
Hello everyone,

There is the following dialogue in the series Noobees (esports series) according to the official script:

- Kral, ¿dónde está Kosnika?
- Ni idea. Y ganaron los Noobees, ¿si vistes? Kevelek y Sasac estaban muy felices.
- No me cambias el tema, ¿dónde está Kosnika?

What I hear in the video is ¿si viste? or ¿se viste? - without the final "s".
What could the phrase in question possibly mean? Could it mean did you see (that)?

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • User With No Name

English (U.S.)
    ¿si vistes?
    I assume it is "¿Sí viste?" (something like "You did see [it], didn't you?").

It is common (but incorrect) for people to add an "s" to preterite forms in speech. (Why it would appear that way in the transcript but not in the soundtrack is less clear...)

Rocko!

Español - México
    Por estos lares, un “¿sí viste/vistes?” podría significar “¿sí supiste?, pero veo que la serie es colombiana, no mexicana, por lo que habría que esperar la opinión de los colombianos.

Cerros de Úbeda

UK
    Spanish - Spain (Galicia)
    - Isn't it? / Inn'it!
    - What about that!
    - Would you believe (it)!?
    - How great / nice / amazing!
    - Isn't that surprising / nice / incredible, etc!
    - Isn't that (quite) something!

- Kral, ¿dónde está Kosnika?
    - Ni idea. Y ganaron los Noobees, ¿si vistes? Kevelek y Sasac estaban muy felices.
    - No me cambias el tema, ¿dónde está Kosnika?

What could the phrase in question possibly mean? Could it mean did you see (that)?
    No, its meaning is not literal.

It's a figurative expression, a colloquial phrase used as a kind of tag question or as a language filler. It may express several different impressions; surprise, joy, rejoice, irony, etc.

Here, I think it is used ironically, probably to display mockery or challenge (towards a supporter of the opposite team), and that's why the other replies dismissively ('no me cambies de tema').

There are some variants of it, like '¿Viste?', or '¿Has visto?' - which are the ones used in Spain (and I guess must also be used in some parts of Latin America).

It is common (but incorrect) for people to add an "s" to preterite forms in speech. (Why it would appear that way in the transcript but not in the soundtrack is less clear...)

That's due to the characteristics of Latin American dialect, and its regional speech and pronunciation patterns, which mostly skip the sound of the final -s.

So, here, it's a case of a (minor) mistake in the script, corrected by the regional accent in the soundtrack. o_O

Last edited:

Rocko!

Español - México
    Sólo viste, Rocko, nunca "vistes".
    :D:D:D Por supuesto, estimado Aviador. Yo solo ejemplificaba un "ya vistes" de las calles mexicanas.
    Gracias por hacer la observación.
    Que me disculpen Cerros y User, por favor, por yo no haberlo aclarado antes.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >