si salva solo

Matteo87

Italian
Dear all,

I was reading and article from a newspaper (la repubblica) about overweight problems in the world. I found it hard to translate this sentence:

"Il pianeta è obeso, si salva solo l'Asia".

I have problems in rendering "si salva solo...".
At the moment the best translation I thought is "The world/planet is obese, except for Asia" but it doesn't satisfy me.

Thanks in advance for your precious help.

• Garbo

English - USA
    Mi dispiace che non ti piace la traduzione perche' e' perfetta! If you want more emphasis, you could say:

Except for Asia, the planet is obese.

The planet is obese, the only exception being Asia. (Newspaper articles are written at a very basic level so you wouldn't see this type of construction.)

Please note that the forum asks that you use proper capitalization cosi' La Repubblica.

Benvenuto a WordReference Forums. :)

Matteo87

Italian
    Mi dispiace che non ti piace la traduzione perche' e' perfetta! If you want more emphasis, you could say:

Except for Asia, the planet is obese.

The planet is obese, the only exception being Asia. (Newspaper articles are written at a very basic level so you wouldn't see this type of construction.)

Please note that the forum asks that you use proper capitalization cosi' La Repubblica.

Benvenuto a WordReference Forums. :)
    Thanks for your suggestions (the same goes for Mary and shardaneng) and for your welcome.
    As you said I'm new here and I don't know all the rules (I'll improve): thanks for your correction. :)

< Previous | Next >