si supiera dónde está/esté

< Previous | Next >

sirgawain

english/usa - living in madrid
"Si supiera dónde está/esté el cuerpo lo diría" - de una declaración en un juicio.

¿está o esté?

Gracias de antemano............

• blasita

Spain. Left six years ago
    Sorry, I'd use the present tense in Spanish. But I suppose there will be different opinions on this; wait for them, please.

Un saludo.

inib

British English
    I think that's an interesting question, JJ. While in English we could also say "If I knew where the body is..."(but this would almost emphasise a suspicion that the body might have been recently moved), I agree with you that it is more normal to say "If I knew where the body was...", even if we are talking about where the body might be now. (The explanation for the past (was) could be in "reported speech").
    But to be honest, I don't like "estaba" or even "estuviera" in Spanish so much.
    I hope someone will soon give us one of those wonderful explanations/corrections.

Wandering JJ

British English
    Sorry, I'd use the present tense in Spanish. But I suppose there will be different opinions on this; wait for them, please.

Un saludo.
    Don't say 'sorry' - I am grateful for your speedy answer. You will see from inib's answer that it would be normal in English to use 'was' in this context, but I'm happy to use the pres. indicative in Spanish if you recommend it.
    Thank you for clarifying this point.
    Un saludo.

< Previous | Next >