side-by-side / consequently

< Previous | Next >

cizutoca

Lithuanian
I am looking for a good word to place in the sentence below:

• The amount of internet users has increased during the past years, and the amount of information available on the internet has also ________ plummeted.

I require something that can convey a meaning as consequently, laterally, side-by-side.

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I find "the number...has increased.............and .........................plummeted with it" awkward as "increase" and "plummet" are opposites. I would have expected something like "The number of users has increased yet/but coincidentally/by comparison (or another word that I can't think of at the moment) the amount of information ... has plummeted"

cizutoca

Lithuanian
    Oh, I'm very sorry guys, I have made a huge mistake: I did not want to say that the amount of information has decreased, so I made a huge mistake using "plummet" there, I actually wanted to say that the amount of information has also "increased" with the number of users. Therefore, I'll revise my sentence as follows:

• The number of internet users has increased during the past few years, and the amount of information available on the internet has also ________ risen/soared.

Last edited:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "...has also risen" sounds better to me than "has also soared," partly because you haven't previously indicated that the increase in the number of internet users was dramatic.

cizutoca

Lithuanian
    Thank you! But, I actually really need to have a word in there, that gives the means of side-by-side increase, like:
    "...on the internet has also laterally risen."

Wordnip

British English
    You could word it thus:

Both the number of internet users and and the amount of information available on the internet has increased during the past few years.

or

The number of internet users and and the amount of information available on the internet have increased concomitantly during the past few years.

cizutoca

Lithuanian
    Thank you very much! Just what I've been looking for.
    Can "accordingly" have the same meaning as "concomitantly" in this context?

< Previous | Next >