Siento contenta que estés feliz

izani1

English - United States
Hi everyone.

I was asked by a friend about the following expression (as to whether or not it was well constructed):

Siento contenta que estés feliz.

The construction itself seems somewhat odd to me (in regards to the way that "sentir" is being used); admittedly however, this may just be to my own lack of experience with the language. In my own opinion I probably would have thought to say something along the lines of "Me alegro de que estés feliz" or "Estoy contenta de que estés feliz."

In any case, could someone please tell me whether or not this is a reasonable use of the verb "sentir" and assuming that this usage is reasonable, would this be an example of queísmo (i.e. would it need to be "Siento contenta de que..."). Additionally, if there are any alternative expressions (not already discussed) which might sound better, could you please inform me of these.

Thanks so much for all your help! :)

• pvraes

Spanish-Spain
    I would say "Me alegro de que estés feliz or estoy contenta de..." The use of "sentir" with "contento/a" doesn't sound well to me. "Me siento feliz" sounds better. As for the matter of "dequeismo", there is no such in this case, as the expression is "estar contento de algo" or "alegrarse de algo".

Pinairun

Hi everyone.

I was asked by a friend about the following expression (as to whether or not it was well constructed):

Siento contenta que estés feliz.

The construction itself seems somewhat odd to me (in regards to the way that "sentir" is being used); admittedly however, this may just be to my own lack of experience with the language. In my own opinion I probably would have thought to say something along the lines of "Me alegro de que estés feliz" or "Estoy contenta de que estés feliz."

In any case, could someone please tell me whether or not this is a reasonable use of the verb "sentir" and assuming that this usage is reasonable, would this be an example of queísmo (i.e. would it need to be "Siento contenta de que..."). Additionally, if there are any alternative expressions (not already discussed) which might sound better, could you please inform me of these.

Thanks so much for all your help! :)
    Para expresar un estado, como en este caso, el verbo "sentir" ha de ser pronominal: sentirse bien/alegre/contento/triste...
    Por lo tanto, debería decir "Me siento contenta". Y, sí, omitir la preposición supone queísmo. Lo correcto es: Me siento contenta de que estés/seas feliz".

pvraes

Spanish-Spain
    Sorry izani. On reading Pinarium post I realize that you were asking whether the omission of "de" implied "queismo". I clearly misread it and understood "dequeísmo"

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >