Sieve? [what do you call an incompetent goalkeeper/goalie?]

blasita

Spain. Left six years ago
Hello everyone.

I think that you can call 'sieve' to a goalkeeper that allows many goals to be scored in soccer/football. I've heard that some people use this term to refer to a goalie in hockey, and I wonder if this is the right word that can be used in general.

I'd like to know about the above, and I'm also looking for an informal term to describe a player who's easy to get past/it's easy to get past him or beat him (the idea is the same one).

Thank you very much.

• Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    The nearest expression that I have heard is 'That defence has more holes in it than a colander!' but this does not refer to one player in particular.
    That goalkeeper couldn't stop a pig in an entry!
    The goalkeeper is a butter-fingers!

I have never heard a goalkeeper called directly a sieve. I think generally speaking I would just say that he (or another player) is useless, pathetic, or a variety of stronger adjectives ;)

dreamlike

Polish
    I think it's a goal that has been conceded in a very careless manner that is called "a sieve", rather than the goalkeeper himself/herself :)

Last edited:

blasita

Spain. Left six years ago
    Thanks for the answers.

Bevj, so happy to see you here! I've actually used some of your expressions to describe that type of player in my first post here (this comes from another thread). Thanks a lot for your help.

I actually heard 'sieve' in this context while in the US (a long time ago though, and it could have been kind of a joke, I'm not sure right now). I was just trying to find a noun if possible (but this seems to be impossible).

Cheers.

Last edited:

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    Hi blasita
    Well, a sieve and a colander are more or less the same ;)
    I am fairly sure that there are expressions using 'sieve' but I'm afraid I can't think of any at the moment.
    I don't think that a careless goal is called a sieve.

Edit: I found a reference to American hockey where the goalkeeper is personally called a sieve. Maybe it's an AE thing.
    http://www.michigansuperfan.com/Hockey cheers.htm Paragraph 3.

< Previous | Next >