sigh=suspire?

• Myridon

English - US
    The entry for "suspire" in Collins dictionary says "archaic or poetic". You should not use "suspire." (My web browser says the word is a misspelling.)
    Tell us the sentence and context (what exactly is happening) and we can tell you if "sigh" is the correct word.

MarcB

US English
    This is actually my first time seeing the word suspire in English, I know the meaning because it is a French word .

CHovek

Turkish
    No, definitely not. "Sigh" is a common word that everyone would understand. "Suspire" is extremely uncommon, and almost no one would have any idea what this would mean.

Why would you ever want to use "suspire" at all?
    Actually A Chinese girl used it while writing to me online.

Last edited:

CHovek

Turkish
    The entry for "suspire" in Collins dictionary says "archaic or poetic". You should not use "suspire." (My web browser says the word is a misspelling.)
    Tell us the sentence and context (what exactly is happening) and we can tell you if "sigh" is the correct word.
    I always use "sigh" where necessary, but a friend of mine from China used the word "suspire" a few times in a day.

sdgraham

USA English
    I always use "sigh" where necessary, but a friend of mine from China used the word "suspire" a few times in a day.
    We see many instances here where a non-native speaker finds a word in a dictionary and starts using it without knowing that it's far outside our normal usage and the use is just plain weird.
    I call it "dictionarial delusion."

suzi br

English / England
    We see many instances here where a non-native speaker finds a word in a dictionary and starts using it without knowing that it's far outside our normal usage and the use is just plain weird.
    I call it "dictionarial delusion."
    FAB. :D

I am going to start calling it that too.

CHovek, you have to consider whether to tell your deluded pal about her error, or not.

CHovek

Turkish
    [She just said she used this word as Turkish, "sus pire!" was what she meant to write, "pire" means a flea in Turkish.

Sus pire!=shut up you flea!

Some administrator/admin/moderator would better remove this thread resulting from misunderstanding.
    ]

Moderator's note: Even though this thread is the result of a misunderstanding, suspire is in our dictionary, and the discussion above may be useful to someone in the future. Cagey, moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >