sigh

• _forumuser_

Italian
    I think you would simply say "aaaahhhh!"

Unless you are talking about directions on a script. In that case you could say ([the character] sospira [or] sospirando).

paolog

English, UK
    OK, this thread is over a year old, but I am looking for the same answer, I think. My context is when a cartoon character says "Sigh" (meaning that they actually sigh at this point). I believe have seen this rendered as "sigh" in Italian (pronounced "sig", as far as I am aware). For my purposes, I am going to use "uffa", which expresses mild annoyance. Not quite the same thing, but it is proper Italian and an idiomatic translation.

Salegrosso

Verona (Italy)
    Uffa e uff non equivalgono a un sospiro ....
    That's right.
    However, Paolog said:

For my purposes, I am going to use "uffa", which expresses mild annoyance. Not quite the same thing, but it is proper Italian and an idiomatic translation.

In this sense, uffa and uff seem proper to me.
    Also, I remark that it's quite normal sospirare when the situation is annoying. And "alzare gli occhi al cielo" as well...

Bye,
    Salegrosso.

paolog

English, UK
    Paperino dice sigh! da una vita e non uffa, che forse è snort! :) :)
    Capito, pero' preferisco "uffa" per la ragione che ho dato. Va benissimo nel contesto.

Tradurrei "uffa" con "tut!" o "tsk!" per esprimere il fastidio in inglese. Si usano molto in inglese, e spesso sono accompagnati da un'alzata degli occhi al cielo :) (Per quelli chi si interessano: e "tut" e "tsk" si pronunciano come un "click dentale", come nelle lingue africane tipo lo xhosa - vedi "Lingua xhosa" nello wikipedia italiano.)

"Snort" significa "sbuffare" in inglese, e come interiezione indica la derisione in inglese. Non si usa molto nei fumetti inglesi - interiezioni piu' comuni per esprimere la derisione sono "pah!", "bah!" e "huh!".

Tartini

Italy - Italian
    In courtroom, waiting for the virdict:

"The family of the victims are already sighing: even if the accused get 20 years in prison, they will be out soon, healthy and well looked-after by friends.  Justice is not done here as it would be elsewhere"

In this case, "sigh", to me, should be translated restoring the despair, delusion and disillusion ,coming from a lack of trust about justice in that court.
    Problem is I can't find an equivalent in Italian language.

Nel caso specifico, "sigh" dovrebbe essere tradotto in modo da restituire il senso di disperazione, delusione e disillusione che deriva da un mancanza di fiducia nella giustizia (in quello specifico tribunale).

paolog

English, UK
    How about "la famiglia delle vittime era gia' abbattuta" (or "avvilita") - "the family of the victims were already despondent/dejected"?

vicky1027

usa english
    I tried searching for this meaning but I'm not sure...

If I want to say in an SMS "sigh" do I use sospirando or is there a better way?

Context is...I'm trying to say something in italian and I don't think they're understanding me. It's not exasperation, it's more "oh well, I'm always trying"

Thank You!
    Vicky

Danieloid

Italiano
    In SMS messages you could use "sigh", I think that almost all Italians understand that. Or you can use a sentence explaining the meaning of that "sigh!": che tristezza! Che delusione! Oh no! Mi viene da piangere! And so on…

< Previous | Next >