sign an extension-of-salary waiver

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
Freddie Firestone, the producer of Attic Room, had of course wanted Bill first thing. There had been some kind of ballsup about the stuntwoman who was supposed to fall down a flight of stairs for Audra. It seemed that stuntpeople had a union too, and this woman had fulfilled her quota of stunts for the week, or some silly thing. The union was demanding that Freddie either sign an extension-of-salary waiver or hire another woman to do the stunt.
Source: It by Stephen King

What does the bolded expression mean? authorise additional payment? I understand waiver means a statement giving up a right. Somehow, the wordings of this sentence do not jibe with my said guessing. I usual sign a waiver when my son goes away on a scout camp or for school excursion.

Thank you.

• waltern

English - USA
    The way I read it, it sounds like labor union rules would require a form to be signed before the stuntwoman could perform the extra work (for extra pay) - I agree that it is a somewhat unusual use of "waiver", I would expect something like "rider".

Last edited:

Bondstreet

English (UK)
    I guess it means authorise or agree to additional payment. There would have been a contract for the stunt lady to do a certain number of stunts for an agreed payment. If the producer wanted her to do more work, she would be entitled to more money, and the producer was being asked to sign an agreement to "waive" the original contract for an agreed amount of money, in favour of an agreed larger sum in return for the stunt lady doing extra agreed work.

< Previous | Next >