sign for the tip

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
The driver gets John to the place of destination when he (John) is supposed to make it up with hi wife. He to John:
— I tell you what. I'm gonna pull in the parking garage and I'll wait. You score, you give me a call on the car phone. I'll take your bags to the desk. You strike out, I'll get you a hotel.
— You're all right, Argyle.
— Just remember that when you sign for the tip.
Die Hard, movie

Explain please the phrase.
Thanks.

• BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    Like in a restaurant when you pay with a credit card, you can put in how much you want to tip the waiter, if it isn't specifically listed already or you wish to override what is suggested. Argyle is reminding John to remember what has been done for him by Argyle himself and to be generous when he pays the hotel bill.

Copyright

American English
    I agree except that this sounds like a hired car with a driver. But the procedure is the same.

I'm doing something good for you now, so don't forget me when it comes time to tip.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Sorry, I don't understand something. If Argyle leaves, and John will be paying the hotel bill, what does Argyle's going to get? What does the hotel have to do with a limo driver?

And the definition for "sign for":"if you sign for a parcel or letter, you show that you have received it by writing your name on a document".

I mean -- how can you sign for a tip?

Copyright

American English
    It sounds like John's wife is at a hotel, so the driver pulls in there and parks.
    He tells John to go see her.
    If John decide to stay, he will call Argyle, who will take his bags to the hotel desk.
    If John doesn't stay, he will come back down to the car and Argyle will take him to another hotel.

To pay, you hand over your credit card. They run it through the machine and you get a slip to sign that you authorize the charge. We call it signing for the bill. If you add a tip, you're really signing for the charge and signing for the tip at the same time, on the same slip.

Have you used a credit card before? (Serious question.)

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    They're paying for it, so don't be shy.
    Ah I see, I didn't read that fragment -- it is not present in the movie.
    If you add a tip, you're really signing for the charge and signing for the tip at the same time, on the same slip.
    And following the definition of "sign for", it literally means "signing for the service provided" (using the car and the hotel), right?
    Have you used a credit card before? (Serious question.)
    Serious answer - never:) (but I've seen many times how it's going)

Copyright

American English
    And following the definition of "sign for", it literally means "signing for the service provided" (using the car and the hotel), right?
    When you sign the slip, it literally means you're agreeing to pay the amount of money on the slip for whatever service or product you have received, plus whatever you add as a tip.
    Serious answer - never:D (but I've seen many times how it's going)
    Then you have no credit card debt, which is a great thing. :)

< Previous | Next >