Sign-in sheet

voyadam

Turkish
I am looking for a more natural way to say the following in a class context.

- Have you signed the sign-in sheet yet?

Using the word "sign" twice troubles me a lot. It does not sound idiomatic at all.

Thanks for your help.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It is a strange problem you have set yourself, to use sign-in sheet without repeating the word 'sign'. :)

This is one possibility that occurs to me:
    Have you added your name to the <sign-in> sheet yet?

Is your name on the <sign-in> sheet?

However, it seems unnecessarily awkward. In real life, I would use waltern's suggestion or something similar

Last edited:

voyadam

Turkish
    Thank you Cagey. More specific context is that I am a teacher in a class environment and I want to ask my students whether they all have signed in while I wave/show the sign-in sheet to everyone in the class.

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    Thank you Cagey. More specific context is that I am a teacher in a class environment and I want to ask my students whether they all have signed in while I waive/show the sign-in sheet to everyone in the class.
    Regardless of what you are waving (not waiving), the best expression is "Have you signed in?"

Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::

waive /weɪv/vb (transitive)
    • to set aside or relinquish: to waive one's right to something
    • to refrain from enforcing (a claim) or applying (a law, penalty, etc)
    • to defer

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    There is no need to use the phrase "sign-in sheet", but if you really really want to, you'll probably need to use two sentences:
    "Do you see this sign-in sheet?" {this is where you wave it about} "Well, I hope you've all signed it".

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Or you could just ask "Have you all signed the sheet yet?" If you're waving the sign-in sheet at them as you say it, it's going to be fairly obvious which "sheet" you're referring to. ;)

Sabretooth

American English
    I am looking for a more natural way to say the following in a class context.

- Have you signed the sign-in sheet yet?

Using the word "sign" twice troubles me a lot. It does not sound idiomatic at all.

Thanks for your help.
    This sounds perfectly natural to me. It's quite common here in the US, at least in my area.

< Previous | Next >