sign in visitors to the recovery program

< Previous | Next >

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

Emily Ligawiec has to sign in visitors to the recovery program she attends in a grand Victorian house in Holyoke, Mass. She can't bring people to her room. She only recently earned phone and car privileges.

(This comes from npr.org Police Offering Drug Recovery Help: 'We Can't Arrest Our Way Out Of This Problem' on February 8, 2020.)

Does the blue part mean "she was attending a recovery class when visitors come to visit her. Then she signs in, perhaps on paper or computer, to let them in"?

Thanks in advance!

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The word "attends" is misleading and incorrect. She is living (all the time) in a recovery program. Inside that program she has "her room", and restrictions on her use of phones and cards. Recently she is allowed (by the program) to have the "privelege" of using the phone and her car, with restrictions.

Anyone who visits her must sign in. She can do it, or they can do it. As you say, this can be on paper or computerized. But their visit must be in the public parts of the house -- she can't bring people to her room.

ironman2012

Chinese
    Anyone who visits her must sign in. She can do it, or they can do it.
    Emily Ligawiec has to sign in visitors to the recovery program ...
    -----> I think the blue part says she does it (i.e. signs in) to let them in, not they do it, doesn't it?

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Yes. It's possible they both have to make an entry, but the phrase does suggest that she has to do it in any case.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I believe what it means is if they show up for a visit they aren't allowed into the house until she comes to the front and says, yes, they are visiting me, so the people in charge know what's going on and know who's visiting who. (I'm sure some people aren't welcome, and aren't allowed in.) I don't think it's talking directly about a specific system (paper, computer or whatever) - although I'm sure there is one.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Emily Ligawiec has to sign in visitors
    Yes, it says she has to do this. But when she does this, she must be with the visitors. She cannot do it until the visitors are present. And I assume this action must be witnessed, and the visit will be monitored (she can't take them to her room, or any other place where she is alone with them).

So it is really two parts: a person monitors her visits, and a written record is made of her visits. The sentence only mentions the written record. I am assuming the rest.

< Previous | Next >