Sign on (unemployment benefit)


New Member
England English
How would one say 'sign on' in the sense of claiming unemployment benefit in French?

Many thanks in advance
  • jennycensus

    English - Canada
    Perhaps "s'incrire", but I'm not a native speaker.
    I just checked the Service Canada website and the French translation of the English "Apply for employment insurance" is "Présenter une demande d'assurance-emploi".

    This, of course, would be a formal way of saying this. I'm sorry I don't know if there is a colloquial expression, like "sign on".
    Last edited:


    Senior Member
    I think the French "vont pointer à l'Assédic/l'ANPE".

    Edit: And, of course, muppet that I am, I forgot that, in the context, there are two separate meanings of "to sign on". In the case of signing on every two weeks to claim unemployment benefit, my initial answer stands. On the other hand, if it is the case of the initial signing on to register for unemployment benefit, then I agree with jennycensus and it would be "aller s'inscrire au chômage/à l'Assédic". Ta.
    Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >