sign somebody up for something

englishelp

Chinese
Hi, I understand that "sign up for something" could mean: "To agree to be a participant or recipient by signing one's name; enlist".

For example, one could say "I have signed up for a yoga class".

I assume that the interpretation of this sentence would be "I have agreed to enroll myself in a yoga class by adding my name to the list of people who are joining the class".

My question is: could one say "I have signed you up for something" to mean that "I have added your name to the list of people who are joining something".

Now, here is the real sentence I am trying to construct: "I have signed you up for the 10:00 - 11:00 slot for the experiment".

Here is the context: I am trying to get people to participate in my experiment. People who are interested will respond to me with a time that they can come for the experiment (for example: 10:00 - 11:00 as in the above sentence). I then reply to them with the sentence above, to tell them that I have reserved this time specifically for them. This is just to pressurize them into eventually showing up (since the time has been reserved for them).

Does the sentence above (in bold) sound good for the meaning I want to convey?

Thanks

• Unless you are very close (classmates/friends?) to the people you are signing up, or want to emphasize that you are running this experiment, the "I have..." part adds an uncomfortable level of intimacy, in my opinion. It would strike me as odd if I received a letter from my school from a doctor in the Student Health Center saying "I have signed you up for....". Almost always, I see sentences that start with "You are now signed up for the 10:00 - 11:00 time period....".

Just my 2 cents worth!

El escoces

English - UK
    I don't share garcondenyon's concern in the circumstances described by englishelp.

Another useful expression, meaning the same as "I have signed you up for..." is "I have put your name down for..."

< Previous | Next >