sophiasophie

Chinese
Hi,

If A shall help B to find a place to study English (training school, university, college, etc.), is it Ok to say "A shall help B to sign up for an English course or English study program?

Thank you in advance!

• suzi br

English / England
    For a start we'd say "A will help B ... " The other bit depends on the nature of the study proposed. They both sound OK, although obviously you are favouring Amercan spelling and I think the phrase "study program" sounds more American than English to me.

heypresto

English - England
    I'd say it depends on what the school or college calls it, but I would imagine English course is more common.

(More natural would be 'A will help B', or A is going to help B')

Cross-posted.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    'English course' sounds rather like a language learning course to me. By 'English studies' I imagine a variety of topics maybe culture, history and politics, with or without language. Or it might simply be a fancy way of saying a language course.

(You need a present tense instead of that first 'shall'. If 'somebody is helping' or, if 'somebody helps'. I see that I disagree with some others about using 'will'. Anyway, it is off-topic.)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >