Signal quality is low

Discussion in 'English Only' started by truce, Jun 24, 2016.

1. truce Senior Member

Persian
    Greeting
    Which one of the following sentences is more idiomatic to describe a condition when talking on mobile phone and the quality of signal is so low that the words become broken and unclear and is there any other sentence for this condition that I have not mentioned below? And is there any difference between American, British and Australian English to describe this condition?

You are breaking up.
    The line is bad.
    The line is choppy.
    The line is noisy.
    The reception is poor over here.

2. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    I don't think people would use "line" for wireless cell phone conversations. The first one covers the situation the best for me.

3. truce Senior Member

Persian
    Thank you for your help. And do you know if Britons and Australians use the first sentence or use any other sentence which is not included above?

4. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    I often hear, and say, "the signal here is weak." That often goes along with "you're breaking up" or a similar phrase, especially if one party is in an area where he or she knows that the signal is weak.

5. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    "Reception is poor." could also work.

6. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    The single most common way I would describe this situation, whether I were using a cell phone or a land line, would be to say "we have a bad connection."

7. truce Senior Member

Persian
    Thank you all for your helps.