signer son arrêt de mort

Hellowdy

Belgium - French
hello!

I'm writing a summary of an Economist's text about British politics and I don't know how to translate "les évènements catastrophiques de 2007 auraient ils signer l'arrêt de mort de Gordon Brown?"

My attempt : "would have the calamities of 2007 signed the death sentence of Gordon Brown?"

Many thanks,

Elodie

• titiparis

France french + english
    arrêt de mort de Gordon Brown ----> "the death sentence of Gordon Brown" sounds good to me !

mais cela donnerait :

"would the calamities of 2007 have signed the death sentence of Gordon Brown" ?

Cela dit, j'opterais pour quelque chose du genre : "Could the calamities of 2007 have signed the... ?"

Hellowdy

Belgium - French
    "May the calamities of 2007 have signed the death sentence of Gordon Brown?" does it sound good to you?

many thanks!

gerardovox

Nice try Titiparis! However "May" at the start of a sentence reads like a command like Que le meilleur gagner ! --> May the best man(/woman) win!

May the catastrophic events ....!
    = I really hope that the catastrophic events..... ! (Oh dear...poor Gordon Brown :D)
    Personally I like your "Could the ...." (I think this would be understood by the widest audience)
    or Suehill's "Might the..." (sounds like a BBC radio presenter! )

Hellody: Yes "sign a death warrant" is an English expression too, and is quite often used in political situations too.

Teafrog

UK English (& rusty French…)
    I fully agree with gerardovox (post 7): It should start with "could" and "sign a death warrant" is correct :)

< Previous | Next >