Silence/mute a TV

< Previous | Next >

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
Hello everyone
Following my previous question regarding "phones":

(Silence / Mute) a phone

I wonder which sentence below doesn't sound correct when you are going to disable a TV's sound and why.

Let's say you are watching TV and in the meantime the house phone rings. Your mother picks up the receiver and asks you:

1. Make the TV Silent please.
2. Silence the TV please.
3. Mute the TV please.

Bringing up this question, I was going to discover the slight nuance between the three similar words "silent/silence" and "mute".

Thank you.

• heypresto

English - England
    On a remote, the relevant button is likely to be labelled as 'mute', but I think we'd say something like 'Please turn the sound off/down' rather than 'Please mute the TV'.

Jeffool

English - United States
    I would use "mute" in this situation, if I wanted the audio off. If I wanted them to lower the volume, but leave it loud enough for them to continue listening, I would ask them to "turn it down".

kentix

English - U.S.
    Maybe I'm old, but I'd say "Turn the sound down" or "turn the sound off."

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Maybe I'm old, but I'd say "Turn the sound down" or "turn the sound off."
    Does your TV still have volume knob? :) I remember those, too, and still talk about "turning the sound down" but most remotes these days come with a "mute" button so that terminology will probably take over eventually.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    On a remote, the relevant button is likely to be labelled as 'mute', but I think we'd say something like 'Please turn the sound off/down' rather than 'Please mute the TV'.
    Then what's wrong with:
    - Mute the TV. (Since every remote has a "mute" button.)
    - Put the TV on mute.
    ?
    Do they sound too formal? Are these usage sound unnatural in daily conversation?

"Please hit mute" "Please put it on mute" "Please turn the sound off/down" etc. I don't expect to hear silent/silence used in phrases in that situation.
    Thank you very much Julian 😊🙏🏻
    Just as you mentioned, saying:
    -Please hit mute.
    or
    -Please put it on mute.
    Sounds correct (at least in the US.)
    But, how about:
    - Please mute the TV.
    ?
    Does it sound natural to you in this sense?

"Please turn the TV down."
    It just means: "lower the volume" RM1(SS), but I need someone completely turn off the TV sound. As you know, they are logically different things.

Last edited:

heypresto

English - England
    Then what's wrong with:
    - Mute the TV. (Since every remote has a "mute" button.)
    - Put the TV on mute.
    ?
    Do they sound too formal? Are these usage sound unnatural in daily conversation?
    Yes, they are a little formal, (and a little blunt without 'please'), and to me unnatural. I just can't imagine saying them.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    Yes, they are a little formal, (and a little blunt without 'please'), and to me unnatural. I just can't imagine saying them.
    Thank you very much heypresto, but while nobody else has mentioned similar things so far, let's see what others have to say in this regard. Also, perhaps there is a regional preference while Julian in the post #3 did not mention anything about them to be odd-sounding or something.

heypresto

English - England
    Others may well have different opinions. And yes, there may be regional preferences.

But with this and your other question about phones, you seem preoccupied with the use of 'mute' as a verb. It's just not what I would say.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    Others may well have different opinions. And yes, there may be regional preferences.

But with this and your other question about phones, you seem preoccupied with the use of 'mute' as a verb. It's just not what I would say.
    Yes heypresto. You are right; these two questions have really taken my time and occupied my mind a great deal. Despite my effort, still I am quite confused about the usages of "mute" as a noun / verb and the adjective silent when it comes to a phone or a TV. :confused:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    We don't (often) use "mute" as a verb in such expressions as "Please mute the TV/phone :thumbsdown: " - we simply ""Put them on mute" or one of the many similar options that have already been presented above :( We also don't use the silent/silence in those situations either, as already noted. In a separate context we could well say "When we hit the mute button the TV is silent". But that was NOT the original queston.

Last edited:

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    We don't (often) use "mute" as a verb in such expressions as "Please mute the TV/phone :thumbsdown: " - we simply ""Put them on mute" or one of the many similar options that have already been presented above :( We also don't use the silent/silence in those situations either, as already noted. In a separate context we could well say "When we hit the mute button the TV is silent". But that was NOT the original queston.
    Point taken Julian. That was really getting on my nerves. 🤦🏻‍♂️ What a relief. So "mute" and "silence" as verbs and "silent" as adjective are not used neither for a TV or a mobile phone and normally for both a TV and mobile phone "mute" (with the above-mentioned structures) is used.

<-----Out-of-scope request removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I suspect language use is evolving rapidly in this area. Thirty years ago, most televisions didn't have "Mute" buttons.

For what it's worh, I frequently use "mute" as a verb with respect to the TV remote, as in "Would you please mute that? I can't stand this commercial."

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I suspect language use is evolving rapidly in this area. Thirty years ago, most televisions didn't have "Mute" buttons.

For what it's worh, I frequently use "mute" as a verb with respect to the TV remote, as in "Would you please mute that? I can't stand this commercial."
    I would happily use mute as a verb for a person or a (in fact, many) commercial, but only occasiaonally for the TV itself (that's why I included the "often"in that post. At home we simply say "Mute, please" :)

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)

:thumbsup: I agree -- I definitely use mute as a verb. I never say 'Put the TV on mute.'

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    :thumbsup: I agree -- I definitely use mute as a verb. I never say 'Put the TV on mute.'
    Thank you very much Roxane and Florentia for being of the great help.
    So "Please mute the TV" and "The TV is muted".
    Just as for my similar question, please kindle let me know too. What about the phone case in the US? What would you say Roxane?

< Previous | Next >