silenzio elettorale

< Previous | Next >

valesinger

Italy - Italian
How would you express the idea of "silenzio elettorale", meaning the lack of propaganda the day before the elections (and also the days of the elections)?
"Electoral silence"? >.> <.<

Thank u you!

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I'm not sure we have anything in particular (AE), maybe just
    "no campaigning day".

Let's see if others might help us.

Roy Perrott

English (U.K.)
    Like the U.S., we don't have a neat way of saying this in the U.K. either, which is actually a little surprising as it has always been a tradition here (though less so in recent years) that there be no campaigning on the day before the election.

Your phrase literally means "electoral silence" but that would not mean anything to an English speaker. I think we would just say "a day of no campaigning", e.g. "as it was the last day before the election, there was no campaigning" or "as it was the day before the election, the parties had stopped campaigning".

Puig_70

Italian
    Hi all,

I just wondering to know how would it sound "campaigning stop" to an English speaker, referred to "silenzio elettorale"?

Thank you!

tsoapm

English (England)
    we don't have a neat way of saying this in the U.K. either, which is actually a little surprising as it has always been a tradition here (though less so in recent years) that there be no campaigning on the day before the election
    We do have something called purdah though. It has a specific political sense (between the announcement of an election and formation of a government) which doesn’t correspond very well, but a generic sense of a state of secrecy that does.
    I was just wondering to know how would it sound "campaigning stop" would sound to an English speaker, referring to "silenzio elettorale"?
    Not bad, I think. I have an idea it could be improved on, though how doesn’t quite come to me.

Last edited:

tsoapm

English (England)
    Ah yes. Most of the options at the top sound a little foreign to me, though I could go for ‘campaign silence’ too. A ‘blackout’, on the other hand, seems like a term I might have actually heard in use when the polls were open.

< Previous | Next >