Silver Linings Playbook

Discussion dans 'English Only' démarrée par Wiynz, 7 décembre 2012.

1. Wiynz Senior Member

Persian
    Hello everyone.
    I've got a trouble understanding this:

Silver Linings Playbook.

Playbook means a small book?
    Which one is correct:

A: A small book that is covered with silver [color] linings.
    or
    B: A small book of [about] optimism.

Thanks.

2. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    Hi Wiynz. Please give us your source and context. This is an unusual thing you are speaking of.

We'd need source and context to help you. :)

3. Wiynz Senior Member

Persian
    Hi. it's the name of a famous book and a movie.

Silver Linings Playbook.

4. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    You'll find useful information in this thread for an explanation of silver lining, and in the dictionary entry for playbook.

5. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    If you still have a question after you have read the definitions in Kelly B's post, we will need more information to help you. :)

What are the movie and book about? What kind of stories do they tell?

6. swankyfrank New Member

catalan
    I think it's related to the scene when the father tells him that he'd like be closer to him by talking about football strategies while watching the games together. Silver linings refers to optimism, the therapist tells him to find a strategy to get back to normal, and a playbook is the list of strategies used by US football teams. I did not know what the title meant until I saw that scene.

7. Mr Swann

Mr Swann Senior Member

Paris (enfin presque)
    French - France
    I also really want to understand the title .. MV5BMTM2MTI5NzA3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODExNTc0OA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

The main characters are very weird people ....
    Bradley Cooper is visitig a Therapist et jennifer Lawrence does play a nasty Girl ....

If anyone can help foreigner in understanting the title ...

A very funny fact , the french title is "Happinness Therapy" ( sic !!!)

8. Frankisk New Member

Italiano
    << Moderator's note: Added to previous thread. >>

Hi everybody! :)

Recently I watched the movie "Silver linings playbook" and found difficulty understanding two things:

1) I found on the dictionary the figurative meaning of the expression "silver linings" (= positive aspects), which refers to the proverb "every cloud has a silver lining". What does the expression literally mean? I found that "lining" is "a layer of material used to cover the inside surface of something", so what has to do it with clouds?

2) I also found that "playbook" means "a book or set of notes, used especially in football, with descriptions and diagrams of the various plays (= actions or moves in a game) that a team can make". In the movie they speak a lot about football, so I think the meaning is correct (there is also a sketch with a football diagram on the movie poster), but if it is, what does the title "silver linings playbook" mean? A book to help you find positive aspects in your life?

Thank you very much indeed for your help!! :)

F

Dernière édition par un modérateur: 10 octobre 2014
  9. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I've never seen the movie, Frankisk, but I assume that "Silver Linings Playbook" means what you thought it did: A book to help you find positive aspects in your life. Maybe somebody who has seen the movie can confirm whether your idea about the title's meaning is correct.

By the way, we have a proverb that says "Every cloud has a silver lining". That means that everything has a positive aspect, even things that seem to be negative.

10. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
  11. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

Ontario, Canada. I grew up in US.
    English (American).
    Frankisk,
    I saw the movie. The main character, Paul, does talk about 'silver linings,' looking for them. He's trying to get his life back on track after being released from a mental institution. There are difficulties, of course, but he stays on track.

One thread in the movie is the Philadelphia Eagles football games of 2008, and a climactic one in that December.
    So I'd suppose 'playbook' is a reference to the football games. Paul's dad has various betting schemes and detailed knowledge of the game. He has some crucial bets riding on those games.

Paul's efforts to get back on track might be considered 'plays' from a playbook. In a broader sense, the movie includes a number of 'plays' (situations), of varying hardship for the characters. Paul's love interest had a husband who was killed. That Paul and the lady do finally get together is the main 'silver lining' after all the crap that's befallen them (some of their own doing, of course).

Dernière édition: 6 août 2013
  12. Frankisk New Member

Italiano
    Thank you very much to everyone for answering my questions! :)

Owlman5: thank you for the confirmation of my translation. If you love comedies, maybe you will like watching the movie.

PaulQ: thank you for your careful explanation, with even a picture attached. I still can't find a good translation of "lining" on dictionaries, but I've understood your thought. Maybe you derive the noun from the verb, and so "lining" as the bright "line", the light which "stands along" the edge of the cloud. (you Englishmen really love clouds! ;-)

Egmont: sorry for the repeated topic. I think I searched in the Italian part of the site, but didn't find anything. However, I read the topic suggested and it seems they didn't find a clear solution to the problem. Next time I'll check better!

Bennymix: thank you for the confirmation and the long replay.

Nice to meet you all!

13. Bearanonymous New Member

French
    Silver linings comes from the clouds in the sky that have silver linings around them. The meaning could be like this in this example. The cloud is what you set as a goal: "He accepts to help her in order to reach another woman.". One of the many lining is: "he gets to realize that he is getting mentally well by doing so". Just to name one. Linings are all the other things he hasn't realized yet that are happening behind his clouded perception. The question is can you read the linings hidden behind the clouds in the movie?

The main characters both live with a bi-polar disorder diagnosis. In the beginning of the movie he is in the manic phase cycle that often leads to depression. "He, actually gets well by the end of this movie."

In this context, "playbook", refers to the rules of the game that his father likes and
    any other books that give the rules of a game, contest.

Hope it helps. If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Dernière édition: 5 février 2014
  14. Mr Swann

Mr Swann Senior Member

Paris (enfin presque)
    French - France
    Thank you bearanonymous !
    Of course it does help !

As you can guess it was very hard to understand silver lining ...

I was thinking about dancing vocabulary ...

Partager cette page

Chargement...