simple grammar check (created vs. being created)

Milkyway

Earthish
Hi, buddies
how are you today?

I've got a question today.
which one is right??

1. Created in 1950, the UNHCR has helped approximately 50 million people restart their lives for the last five decades.

2. Being created in 1950, the UNHCR has helped approximately 50 million people restart their lives for the last five decades.

3. having been created in 1950, the UNHCR has helped approximately 50 million people restart their lives for the last five decades.

Please let me know.
I hate this kind of grammar.... it's too difficult for me..

Thank you very much in advance!

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I would say that none of those is correct.
    The "... for the last five decades" seems to be attached to "... people restart their lives ...".
    Take (1), delete "for the last five decades." and you have a good sentence:
    Created in 1950, the UNHCR has helped approximately 50 million people restart their lives.

Unfortunately, that misses out on the sense of continuous effort over the five decades so you might want to say:
    Created in 1950, the UNHCR has, over the last five decades, helped approximately 50 million people restart their lives.

gaer

US-English
    I would say that none of those is correct.
    The "... for the last five decades" seems to be attached to "... people restart their lives ...".
    Take (1), delete "for the last five decades." and you have a good sentence:
    Created in 1950, the UNHCR has helped approximately 50 million people restart their lives.

Unfortunately, that misses out on the sense of continuous effort over the five decades so you might want to say:
    Created in 1950, the UNHCR has, over the last five decades, helped approximately 50 million people restart their lives.
    I think this is excellent, but I have a question:

Do you object to this order?

Created in 1950, the UNHCR has helped approximately 50 million people restart their lives over the last five decades.

I'm unsure here. I think I prefer your structure, but I'm not sure, and if I do, I'm not sure why. :confused:

Gaer

GEmatt

English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    Hi gaer,
    If I may? Both panj's and your suggestion sound natural and correct to me. The only thing is that yours also sounds a bit ambiguous. Is it the UNHCR that has been helping xyz over 50 years, or is it the 50 million people who have been restarting their lives, over 50 years?

gaer

US-English
    Hi gaer,
    If I may? Both panj's and your suggestion sound natural and correct to me. The only thing is that yours also sounds a bit ambiguous. Is it the UNHCR that has been helping xyz over 50 years, or is it the 50 million people who have been restarting their lives, over 50 years?
    Ah, I get it!

I know I preferred Panj's solution, just didn't know why. :)

Gaer