Portuguese to English sinônimo host

Dictionary entry: sinônimo host
< Previous | Next >
  • casaleiro

Dictionary Editor
    English - Ireland
    Hello Zulmira,
    Would I be correct in thinking that you came in search of synonyms of host? This is an English to Portuguese dictionary rather than a thesaurus, but let's see what we can find. Remarkably, there are three homonymic nouns host in English, all with various senses and one with a verbal derivative.

(1) via Old French from Latin hostis 'stranger, enemy': host n. (i) a multitude, a large number (of things, of people) (ii) an army. Synonyms: multitude, horde, crowd, army. Portuguese: multidão, grande quantidade, exército, tropa, hoste.

(2) via Old French from Latin hospes, hospitis 'host, guest': host n. (i) somebody who invites, receives or entertains another as their guest (ii) the landlord of a pub, inn, guesthouse, etc. (iii) an organism having a parasite or infected by a virus (iv) the recipient of an organ translant. I can't think of any close synonyms for this term in English, except maybe landlord, householder, etc. Portuguese: anfitrião, hoteleiro.
    Also: to host vt. to act as a host, to receive a guest. Synonyms: to invite, to extend hospitality to, etc. Portuguese: convidar, receber.

(3) via Old French from Latin hostia 'victim': host n. the wafer of unleavened bread consecrated at the Eucharist. Synonyms (loosely speaking): communion, holy communion, communion wafer. Portuguese: hóstia.

If anybody can improve on these Portuguese translations or indeed suggest some good English synonyms for (2) above, please reply!

MeggieBR

Dictionary Editor
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Hello Zulmira,
    Would I be correct in thinking that you came in search of synonyms of host? This is an English to Portuguese dictionary rather than a thesaurus, but let's see what we can find. Remarkably, there are three homonymic nouns host in English, all with various senses and one with a verbal derivative.

(1) via Old French from Latin hostis 'stranger, enemy': host n. (i) a multitude, a large number (of things, of people) (ii) an army. Synonyms: multitude, horde, crowd, army. Portuguese: multidão, grande quantidade, exército, tropa, hoste.

(2) via Old French from Latin hospes, hospitis 'host, guest': host n. (i) somebody who invites, receives or entertains another as their guest (ii) the landlord of a pub, inn, guesthouse, etc. (iii) an organism having a parasite or infected by a virus (iv) the recipient of an organ translant. I can't think of any close synonyms for this term in English, except maybe landlord, householder, etc. Portuguese: anfitrião, hoteleiro.
    Also: to host vt. to act as a host, to receive a guest. Synonyms: to invite, to extend hospitality to, etc. Portuguese: convidar, receber.

(3) via Old French from Latin hostia 'victim': host n. the wafer of unleavened bread consecrated at the Eucharist. Synonyms (loosely speaking): communion, holy communion, communion wafer. Portuguese: hóstia.

If anybody can improve on these Portuguese translations or indeed suggest some good English synonyms for (2) above, please reply!
    Possible translations for item 2 above: (i) anfitrião; (ii) hoteleiro; estaleiro; (iii) hospedeiro; (iv) receptor. The verb to host in the context of TV is apresentar; ser apresentador ou âncora.

< Previous | Next >