sin admitir que + imperfect subjunctive?

< Previous | Next >

laurengc

English - Britain
the sentence is 'the media and the authorities often criticise them without admitting that once the behaved in the same way'

I know that in present tense admitir que is followed by subjunctive, however does this hold in past tense?

so 'los medios de comunicación y las autoridades a menudo les critican sin admitir que alguna vez se comportaron/aran de la misma manera'

I wasn't sure which one is right.

Thanks,

Lauren

• gato radioso

spanish-spain
    the sentence is 'the media and the authorities often criticise them without admitting that once the behaved in the same way'

I know that in present tense admitir que is followed by subjunctive, however does this hold in past tense?

so 'los medios de comunicación y las autoridades a menudo les critican sin admitir que alguna vez se comportaron/aran de la misma manera'

I wasn't sure which one is right.

Thanks,

Lauren
    Se comportaron is more natural.
    Saying se comportaran is also possible, but it gives you a idea of such a remote possibility that removes a lot of the force of the sentence: emphasize the contradiction between what media and authorities say and what they themselves did before.
    Maybe in a rather archaic context -imagine an old novel, or the pompous speech that king would say in the olden times- a subjunctive tense would sound well.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I know that in present tense admitir que is followed by subjunctive
    ...when the meaning of "admitir" is something like "to permit";
    but when it means "to acknowledge or confess that some statement is true", the indicative is used.

< Previous | Next >