since ( Everybody should have a bike since childhood)

A S Laplace

ARgentina / Spanish
Hi everybody,
I know 'since' is generally ( if not always) used with the present perfect. Yet, if you wanted to say what I wrote above, 'Eveybody should . . . since childhood', would since be acceptable and natural ? How would English-speaking people express this idea?
Thx in advance

• Loob

English UK
    Hello A S Laplace

Could you explain what you want your sentence Everybody should have a bike since childhood to mean?:)

A S Laplace

ARgentina / Spanish
    Hi,
    It means that it is advisable to have a bike 'as from' childhood; that riding a bike is so healthy and such fun that everybody should have one and ride it ( my query being if 'since childhood' is acceptable or how else you would say that)

Last edited:

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    The conditional "should" makes the use of "since" unnatural. You might say "Everybody should have learned to ride a bicycle in childhood". On the other hand, if you change the verb tense, you can say (for example) Everybody in Holland has been riding bicycles since childhood.

Loob

English UK
    Hi,
    It means that it is advisable to have a bike 'as from' childhood; that riding a bike is so healthy and fun that everybody should have one and ride it ( my query being if 'since childhood' is acceptable or how else you would say that)
    Thank you, A S:)

In that case, what I would use is "from" rather than "since": Everybody should have a bike from childhood.

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Hi, all.

"I've had a bike since I was a child"; It's such fun a.s.o. "I think everyone should have had a bike since their childhood".

Best.

GS

Packard

USA, English
    Thank you, A S:)

In that case, what I would use is "from" rather than "since": Everybody should have a bike from childhood.
    I agree (nice of me, ain't it? :)). It follows the from/to model.

Everybody should have a bike from childhood [to adulthood].

sdgraham

USA English
    In addition, watch out for over-generalization, such as "everybody."

I'm sure the blind, the wheelchair-bound and the comatose, for example, would not appreciate your advice.

< Previous | Next >