Since Mutt, ....,leaning seemed the better option all around

< Previous | Next >

asileelisa

French
Hello,

I need your help to understand this sentence from the book Though not Dead by Dana Stabenow:
Whenever Kate was hurting Mutt was always as close to her as she could without actually climbing into her lap.
Since Mutt, the half gray wolf half husky who allowed Kate to live with her outweighed Kate by twenty pounds, leaning seemed the better option all around.
I guess there is a pun but I don't get it...

thank in advance for your help

• MuttQuad

English - AmE
    Hello,

I need your help to understand this sentence from the book Though not Dead by Dana Stabenow:
    Whenever Kate was hurting Mutt was always as close to her as she could without actually climbing into her lap.
    Since Mutt, the half gray wolf half husky who allowed Kate to live with her outweighed Kate by twenty pounds, leaning seemed the better option all around.
    I guess there is a pun but I don't get it...

thank in advance for your help
    It seems to mean that, becasue of the animal's considerable weight, it was better that he leaned up against Kate when he wanted to comfort her rather than jumping up onto her lap.

I don't see any attempt at a pun here.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    There should be a comma between "her" and "outweighed." And yes, if the dog weighs more than she does, having the dog lean against her would definitely be better than having the dog in her lap.

< Previous | Next >