Since or As ??

AlexFergie

Persian
………….. you have endeavored seriously, success will be toward.
a. When
b. While
c. Since
d. As

In this test , Is option "c" true due to present perfect tense?? Option "d" also means because, but a question : What's a difference between the conjunctions exactly?

• Barque

Tamil
    Well, I'm sorry but as I said it doesn't make sense.

I suspect the correct word is "yours" and someone misheard and typed "toward".

If that's the case, options a, c and d could all work but c and d sound more suitable. Option b, "while", doesn't work because it means success will be achieved during the process of endeavoring. The other three all mean success will be achieved as a result of the endeavour.

AlexFergie

Persian
    Well, I'm sorry but as I said it doesn't make sense.

I suspect the correct word is "yours" and someone misheard and typed "toward".

If that's the case, options a, c and d could all work but c and d sound more suitable. Option b, "while", doesn't work because it means success will be achieved during the process of endeavoring. The other three all mean success will be achieved as a result of the endeavour.
    But probably "Since" could be correct just because the first clause has the present perfect tense and it plays a better structure than "As". The other two ( a and b) are absolutely wrong choices and never be thought or concentrated on them because here the result is implied not the time.

Barque

Tamil
    But probably "Since" could be correct just because the first clause has the present perfect tense and it plays a better structure than "As".
    I don't see much difference between "Since" and "As", assuming the last word is "yours" and not "toward".

The other two ( a and b) are absolutely wrong choices
    I disagree that "when" is absolutely wrong. It can be interpreted as "After".
    When you have endeavoured seriously... = After you've completed serious endeavour...

I agree "while" is wrong.

AlexFergie

Persian
    So, it's better to get the other English experts' ideas over this fairly tough test. Please help me You English Masters. I'm really confused:confused::confused::confused:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    So, it's better to get the other English experts' ideas over this fairly tough test. Please help me You English Masters. I'm really confused:confused::confused::confused:
    Where did you get that test question from, please?

It doesn't make any sort of sense as it stands. If you replace "toward" with "the reward" it would just about make sense, although it still wouldn't be at all idiomatic.

Option (b) "while" is almost certainly wrong, but any of the other three would work in my opinion. Both (c) "since" and (d) "as" mean because, so you could use either there.

Delvo

American English
    I'd expect "toward" to be an attempt to translate a word in the author's native language which means "pointing/moving in your direction; toward you" and can, in that language, be applied to "success".

Option C, read as a synonym of "because" in this case, seems to be the best fit. "As" has also been used as a synonym of "because" and "since", but rarely, and it always looks & sounds really awkward to a lot of people, like the speaker is trying too hard to sound like a 19th-century English nobleman. With "when", "have endeavored" should be just "endeavor", talking about a hypothetical future. And "while" would be a sort of opposite of "because/since", indicating that success would be coming your way despite your endeavors, rather than as a result of them, which would be a very unusual thing to tell someone.

AlexFergie

Persian
    I'd expect "toward" to be an attempt to translate a word in the author's native language which means "pointing/moving in your direction; toward you" and can, in that language, be applied to "success".

Option C, read as a synonym of "because" in this case, seems to be the best fit. "As" has also been used as a synonym of "because" and "since", but rarely, and it always looks & sounds really awkward to a lot of people, like the speaker is trying too hard to sound like a 19th-century English nobleman. With "when", "have endeavored" should be just "endeavor", talking about a hypothetical future. And "while" would be a sort of opposite of "because/since", indicating that success would be coming your way despite your endeavors, rather than as a result of them, which would be a very unusual thing to tell someone.
    Hi. thanks a million. Magnificent explanation. You justified and elaborated your thought and idea fantastically brilliantly. Thanks again :thumbsup::thumbsup::):)

< Previous | Next >