Since that time I've gone skiing every weekend.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by eugenioandreev, Dec 30, 2018.

1. eugenioandreev

eugenioandreev Member

Russian
    Hello,

Consider this example, please.

"Some months ago I went on a trip to one of Austria's ski resorts. I had a lot of skiing practice there and really enjoyed my stay there. Since that time I've gone skiing every weekend. I'm really keen on this kind of sport now."

On the one hand, the Present Perfect Progressive ("I've been skiing") seems more likely here. On the other hand, "every weekend" requires a simple tense, not a progressive one.
    Is it correct to say "I've gone skiing every weekend" and is it also correct to say "I've been going skiing every weekend"?
    Note that we're dealing with an ongoing action here (= I've kept on going skiing since then).

A similar example: "Since my last birthday I've played golf twice a week". Is "I've been playing golf twice a week" correct or not?

Thank you!

2. Uncle Jack

Uncle Jack Senior Member

Cumbria, UK
    British English
    Both are fine. there is nothing wrong with using a continuous tense for a repeated event, if a single instance can also use a continuous tense:
    I was skiing last weekend.​

3. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    We often use continuous tenses for habits which are temporary or recently acquired. He's decided to lose weight so he's exercising every day.

4. eugenioandreev

eugenioandreev Member

Russian
    Thank you. I've never come across such information (about the usage of Continuous tenses for temporary or recently acquired habits) in grammar books (even "advanced" ones, which I've got quite a lot of).