sinfonismo

Elle16

English - Australia
Hello

Can anyone help me out with a translation of "sinfonismo". I am translating a newspaper review of performances by the conductor Wilhelm Furtwaengler and the context is: "Il sinfonismo a volte invadente e accapparatore del sommo Lipsiense, è stato in effetti controllato da Furtwaengler con visione lirica..." My understanding of the term is that it refers to 19th century musical concepts/developments but a more precise meaning escapes me...

Thanks in advance!

• macforever

Italian
    Hello

Can anyone help me out with a translation of "sinfonismo". I am translating a newspaper review of performances by the conductor Wilhelm Furtwaengler and the context is: "Il sinfonismo a volte invadente e accapparatore del sommo Lipsiense, è stato in effetti controllato da Furtwaengler con visione lirica..." My understanding of the term is that it refers to 19th century musical concepts/developments but a more precise meaning escapes me...

Thanks in advance!

Symphonic approach?

elemika

Russian
    In the strict Italian sense, sinfonismo simply means writing for orchestra (qui)
    Maybe, it could be translated also with "symphonic activity", "symphonic movement"? Sometimes they use the term "symphonism" (here)

o-nami

Italian
    In the italian dictionary Devoto-Oli isn't the word "sinfonismo"...
    I think the review is about Wagner, so the meaning of the word could be: "the way Wagner uses the orchestra"

Elle16

English - Australia
    Thanks and yes it does seem like the term "symphonism" exists in English and presumably means the same as "sinfonismo"although I have yet to find a good definition of either, as fas as I understand it refers to a particular (Germanic?) development in music in the 19th century but I think for the purposes of the translation "symphonism" will have to do. Thanks for all the suggestions