Sing [sign] up / sing [sign] up for

Caleín

español (España)
Hi everybody:

1. Sing up = alistarse, isn't it? Can be sing up to sing (firmar) everything? I mean, documents, etc.
  2. Is inscribirse en the meaning of sing up for? It's correct the following example? I have sung up for a course this morning.
  3. And it's correct, can you sing up for me at the academy? translated like ¿Puedes inscribirme/matricularse en la academia? Or has to be only followed by nouns?
Thanks in advance.

• perfecta

USA
    English, USA
    Es sign up, no sing up. "Sing" es cantar.
    You sign (firmas) a document. You sign up for a course.

Caleín

español (España)
    Perfect like your name. If I had looked for correctly I hadn't had problems. Thanks.

dimelo2

English-United States
    Hi everybody:

1. Sing up = alistarse, isn't it? Can be sing up to sing (firmar) everything? I mean, documents, etc.
    2. Is inscribirse en the meaning of sing up for? It's correct the following example? I have sung up for a course this morning.
    3. Is it correct to say "can you sing up for me at the academy?" translated as ¿Puedes inscribirme/matricularse en la academia? Or can it only be followed by nouns?
    Thanks in advance.
    Re: #2 "sign up" is a regular verb, so it would be "I signed up for course this morning."
    #3: While you would "sign up for a class", if someone is helping you, you would say "Can you sign me up for ________ (whatever class)."

Mimae

English, US
    Another possible translation for matricularse is enroll. Can you enroll me at the academy? Can I enroll at the academy? Like "sign up," "enroll" works both transitively and intransitively.

dimelo2

English-United States
    Another possible translation for matricularse is enroll. Can you enroll me at the academy? Can I enroll at the academy? Like "sign up," "enroll" works both transitively and intransitively.
    Yes! Enroll is a slightly more formal version of "sign up". You would "sign up" for yoga class for example, but you wouldn't enroll. You would enroll in a university, and then once you're officially a student, you could either "sign up for", or "enroll in" classes.

< Previous | Next >