Singing his name.

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
TOPIC : Singing his name

Hi, English Only members.

In a video, someone's singing a song. He adds his name as a part of lyrics of the song in the video.
Let me give you an example just in case my words are not clear. Because the video I've seen is with Korean, I'm going to give you the example adding my favorite singer's name in his lyrics.
But, when I asked you other thoughts you're keeping...... You just said 'Nothing's changed' (Source : Lately, Stevie Wonder)
-> But, when I asked you other thoughts you're keeping...... You just said 'Stevie! Nothing's changed'
With the context, is it okay to say, "He seems to be in a state of empathy with the poetic narrator, singing his name in the song."
Especially, I'd like to ask if the phrase "singing his name" is okay. "To sing a song" sounds okay to me. But with "To sing lyrics", I'm not sure.
By the way, I also considered "adding his name in the song", but I just don't like it.

Thank you.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    It is okay to say "sing a name" or "sing lyrics".

I'm confused about whose name is sung. In your story there is (1) a singer, and (2) a poetic narrator. The way the sentence is written now, the sentence says he (the singer) sings the narrator's name. Is that right?

I have no idea who the "poetic narrator" is.

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
    Hi, Dojibear.

What I meant with poetic narrator is not a living human being.

For example, a songwriter makes a song about a man's story and the song's lyrics are written from the man's view. Then I think the man is a poetic narrator in the song. Do I have a wrong concept of poetic narrator?

In my story, there's a singer singing singer's own name. I thought adding the singer's name in the lyrics, which is written neither from the singer's view nor by the singer's story, was because the singer's feeling empathy with the poetic narrator of the song.

Am I clear now?

Thank you.

< Previous | Next >