Singular feminine active/passive participle

< Previous | Next >

HotIcyDonut

Russian - Russia
Hey folks,

Maybe this question is profoundly dumb, but... How are female participles derived? Here i see one nice little table for all 19 verb forms. Trouble is, there're only entries for masculine participles. I know that common template is like with any other 'ism - adding ة to masculine participle. Like in مُدَرِّس (masculine active participle of form 2 sound verb دَرَّسَ) where adding ة turns it from "teaching male" to "teaching female". But when i tried the same trick with مُعْطًى (masculine passive participle of form 4 final weak verb (و as 3rd radical) أعطى) to remake masculine "given" into feminine, the result seemed suspicious to me. I mean, i literally googled the word using double quotation marks (in Google syntax it means searching exactly what's been typed).. Well, as you see the word is almost unused. Hence why i ask: are ALL singular feminine participles (active and passive) derived by adding ة to masculine counterparts? Did i do OK and it's just rarity of the word that is confusing? Or there're some exceptions depending on some characteristics of parental verb like form, irregularities with radicals, etc. (if yes, please list). Sorry if my question is retarded.

Thank you all in advance.

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Yes, the general rule is that you add ة. If the masculine form ends with ى, that gets changed to ا before the ة is added, so we have معطًى > معطاة.

< Previous | Next >