[singular/plural] make a building site out of large chunks of the centre

< Previous | Next >

Messquito

Chinese - Taiwan 中文 Taiwanese Hokkien 臺語
Hi,
I came upon this sentence on one ®MONOCLE article about Copenhagen:
"This [=thorough public transport upgrade] is not without its side effects: the metro expansion continues to make a building site out of large chunks of the centre..."
First of all, I'd like to make sure I understand this sentence correctly: it means that they are turning large chunks of land of the city centre into a building site, right?

Now I'll get to what's confusing to me: it's the writer's use of singular [a building site].
I believe that a thorough metro expansion needs more than one building site, especially when continues is in the context, so why is the singular used? Does it imply "one at a time"?

• The Newt

English - US
    The large chunks of land together make up one building site, according to the author. Whether a through metro expansion really involves multiple sites isn't a question addressed in the sentence.

Messquito

Chinese - Taiwan 中文 Taiwanese Hokkien 臺語
    Thanks, The Newt,
    So the singular doesn't suggest that there is only one building site involved?
    I'm confused because as I know, it's always continues to make improvements, but not continues to make improvement, so I figured whether it's plural does matter in that context.

< Previous | Next >