Sink deep into my [mind / heart / soul]

< Previous | Next >

tram-pam-pam

UK
Russian
Hi,

In my first language (Russian), we have the idiomatic expression "запасть в душу" (literally: sink [deep] into smb.'s soul).

It is said about things (or person) that you cannot forget (or control anyhow) consciously, they just continue being/living in your soul, no matter you want or don't want this, regardless of how pleasant or painful it is.
They just there.

In my Russian-English dictionary, I've found only sink deep into the mind given as an equivalent.
And only some 'sink into the heart' and 'sink into the soul' when googling (not sure about them, as the usage like:

"The danger of my position sank into my heart."
http://www.strangehorizons.com/2001/20010611/with_the_dawn.shtml

or
"…causing the knowledge which it conveys to sink into the soul"
(knowledge - it's again about mind?!) -

seem to be not exactly what I’m looking for.

I need an English expression that would be close in meaning to the Russian meaning of sink deep into my soul that is about your feelings and emotions regarding some 'object' that just occupies some piece of your soul. :)
Not just a memory.

Could you help, please?
Thank you.

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    The verb 'sink' in this context strikes me as very, very strange indeed.

The expression that does come to mind from your explanations is 'to be etched' (into one's heart/soul, etc.).

The sentimental value of the old photograph caused it to become etched into my soul/heart.

tram-pam-pam

UK
    Russian
    Thank you for 'to be etched [into]' !

You may want to consider "be / become a part of me." This expression can also be varied as in "She became a part of me." or "She is a part of my very being."
    Yes, this can be naturally said (at least, in Russian) about a person (quite romantic, yes, and a bit pathetic), but I'm still not sure that the wording can be applied to, for example, a song (or just a motif). I suppose, 'a part of my very being' can sound a bit 'too much' in this case. (?)

Joelline

American English
    I think you're right about songs. I must admit that I was thinking more of people.

In English we often say that songs "haunt" us: "I can't get that song out of my mind; it haunts me night and day."

< Previous | Next >